About the Contest
Columbia Summer Winds seeks new (written within the past 10 years), unpublished compositions of 5-10 minutes in length that fit the ensemble and its unique outdoor concert format. CSW repertoire includes music spanning the entire band repertoire: orchestral transcriptions, original wind band staples, marches, traditional and contemporary works, etc. CSW performs music at advanced high school and comfortable college levels.
One First Prize Winner: receives $1,000, and selected work will be performed and recorded during the 2019 Summer Season
Two Second Prize Winners: $100, composition entered into repertoire
How to Apply
Before submitting your application, READ THIS DOCUMENT with detailed information on the contest.
To enter, please submit the following:
- Your signed application form (PDF if via dropbox)
- Either 3 copies of a score (via snail mail) or a PDF of the score (via dropbox)
- A copy of the first clarinet part (PDF if via dropbox)
- OPTIONAL: 1 recording (if available, MIDI accepted)
This is an anonymous competition. Your name should not appear on any materials except for the signed application form. Please ensure the name of your composition is on all materials.
There are two ways to submit your application:
1. Uploading your files to our dropbox.
2. Send all of your application materials to the following address:
250 West 85th Street # 15C
New York, NY 10024
The Outdoor Composition Contest for 2018 is open.
May 15, 2018
Finalist Round Notification:
June 30, 2018
Finalists submit full set of parts for reading postmarked by:
July 15, 2018
Results announced by:
August 7, 2018
Contact Manager Dahlia Weinger